All Freshman Classes But 5 Will Go Co-ed

All courses except five will be co-educational next year, Dean Sherman announced at a meeting of Radcliffe freshmen yesterday afternoon.

The only courses which will still have Radcliffe sections in the fall will be Mathematics 1a. Astronomy 1a, Economics 1, Social Relations 1a, and Music 1. The departments giving those courses decided they did not wish joint instruction in them, and their decisions were approved by Harvard's Committee on Educational Policy. All other courses will meet at the Harvard hours, printed in the new catalogue that will be out next Wednesday.

The decision to have combined Harvard-Radcliffe instruction in elementary courses was approved by the Board of Overseers on March 13. It was first recommended by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences January 10.

Enjoyable Field

At the Radcliffe meeting, Dean Kerby-Miller urged the freshmen to choose a field of concentration that they will really enjoy working in. While they are in college, she said, they should gain "cultural, intellectual, and moral" perspectives on life.

Dean Kerby-Miller gave the freshmen a brief summary of the various fields of concentration. She noted that more girls concentrate in English than in any other field; Social Relations runs second.

The meeting held yesterday was the first of a series to be held this month to advise the freshmen on fields of concentration.