JRC Probes Negro Admission Policy

Because it wants a "clear cut statement of policy on Negroes at Harvard," the John Reed Club yesterday presented Admissions Chairman Richard M. Gummere '07, with a six-point questionnaire on College admission policy.

"The majority of the scholarships which Harvard provides either directly or indirectly exclude Negroes," the Club maintained. Commenting on this statement last night, Director of Scholarships F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr. '38 said that stipulations in various kinds of scholarships are "preferential and not mandatory," adding that such a statement "sounds ridiculous."

Photo Data Asked

The questionnaire included other queries on whether the College intended to delete photographs from the application requirements, and whether any Negro schools were included on the College list for sending out publicity information.

Gummere said that the College would not remove pictures from the application blanks since they were needed for identification. One or two Negro schools are on the College's list for publicity information, the Director of Admissions added.

The JRC also asked the Admissions Director whether the fact that 50 percent of College students come from private preparatory schools did not tend to exclude Negro students.

Two other queries dealt with the lack of courses at the College on Negro History and Culture, and the lack of Negroes on the College faculty.