Lamont Printing Room Provides Workshop for Type Enthusiasts

Facilities Open to All Interested Students

In a room on the first level of Lamont Library, type and rollers as yet unstained by ink stand idly by along with shiny new aluminum frames and a scratchless done of white marble. All that is lacking to turn the room into a bustling plant is the appearance of undergraduates who wish to make the art of printing an avocation.

Students who take advantage of this newest library service will have experienced supervision and instruction in the use of the equipment the room contains. In return, they need file only a small deposit to cover possible damage and pay a nominal fee for materials.

No Personal Projects

By providing these facilities, some of which were formally housed in Widener and then in Randall Hall, library officials hope to foster interest in printing as a bobby. The room, however, will be available only for students interested in printing, not having materials printed. No personal projects, such as Christmas cards, will be sanctioned.

The training offered will not be on a professional level since all the type will be hand set. Because the library is bearing the major cost of operation, students will not be allowed to sell their handiwork.

Lay-Out Experiments

Among the projects which will be suggested to interested students are short manuscripts and exhibits on printing technique, such as are now on display on the first level at Lamont. Several members of a College literary magazine have already expressed interest in utilizing the room to experiment with various types of lay-outs.

Students wishing to apply for use of the room and its facilities can submit requests to either Phillip Hofer, Curator of the Department of Printing and Graphic Arts, James W. McFarlane, Director of the Harvard Printing Office, or Phillip J. McNiff, Director of Lamont. As soon as library officials have some idea of the probable demand, they will arrange schedules for the room's use.