Freshman and Varsity Tennis Teams Both Favored to Defeat BU Today

By Humphrey Doermann

Tennis coach Jack Barnaby hopes for a more restful afternoon than he has had recently as the varsity tennis team journeys across the river to play BU at 3 p.m. today. Although an unknown quantity, BU will probably not show the power that recent opponents like Princeton and North Carolina have exhibited. Last year the Crimson beat BU 9 to 0.

Barnaby is starting a new singles line-up today and if all goes well, he will continue to experiment with the doubles teams in an effort to come up with the best possible slate.

Reese in Lineup

Test matches in practice yesterday and Monday changed the singles picture. Mitch Reese beat the regular number five man, Dave Gordon, in straight sets yesterday and will appear tomorrow in the number six slot. Reese plays a hard-hitting, deep-to-the-corners forcing game which has been steadily improving this spring.

Bob Bramhall, who won his Princeton match in straight sets at number six, will move into the vacant five position. The rest of the singles remain unchanged.

Broward Craig successfully defended his number one position against Captain Hilliard Hughes yesterday and will lead off as usual with Hughes playing his customary number two. Jack Frey and Bob Kaynes will again play three and four respectively.

Unless BU comes up with unexpected power in the singles department. Coach Barnaby will test out a completely new doubles slate. Craig Combs and Bill Goodman, who have been showing promise in practice, will probably make up the first doubles team. Chase Peterson and Dave Aldrich, who pushed their Princeton opponents to three sets at third doubles on Saturday, will be the second combination. Bramhall and either Reese or Gerry Murphy will fill the third slot.

Cory Wynn's Yardling team will also travel to BU this afternoon. After losing to the Grads Saturday the freshmen will again go for their fifth win. Last year the Yardlings beat the Terriers decisively, 9 to 0.