Strong Andover Nine Will Meet Freshman Team on Soldiers Field

The freshman baseball team can assure itself of a better than .500 season if it beats Andover on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 3 p.m. A win today would give the Yardlings a record of seven victories and one defeat, with only five games left to play.

Crimson coach Dolph Samborski has not yet decided whether he will start Bob Ward or Fred Rhinelander on the mound. Ward, who has won two and lost one, is the number one hurier for the freshmen; Rhinelander has seen service only in relief roles, and has no won and lost record. Both are righthanders.

John Arnold, also a righty, who will start for undefeated Andover, has won two of the Academy's three victories. Arnold has speed and a sharp curve. His control is usually good, but he tends to blow up occasionally, as he did in the game with the Yale freshmen last Saturday, when he walked five men in less than two innings. Andover, however, managed to recover, winning, 5 to 4.

Behind Arnold, coach George Follansbee may use Bud Reynolds, who relieved in the Yale game and held the Eli's to four hits in seven innings.

Catcher Dick Bell is probably one of the fastest backstops the Yardlings will encounter. He has so much speed that he is Andover's leadoff batter. Bell's throwing arm is strong, and he is rated a good handler of pitchers.

Follansbee's hardest hitters are third baseman Lee Quinn and keystoner Joe Wennick. Both bat right handed; both hit a long ball. Jim Palmer, another slugger, follows Wennick and Quinn in the batting order. He plays right field.

Good Defense

Defensively, Andover is strong. Pete Gardere, the center-fielder, can throw far and accurately. Left-fielder Joe Crohore has speed, and the ability to cover ground.

The one weak spot is at short stop, where Ed Nowaczek sometimes succumbs to fumblitis. First baseman Curt Franklin is a steady, reliable performer at first; Wennick and Quinn are better than average at second and third.

Samborski will retain his usual lineup. The only change is the insertion of Low Arnow in right field in place of John Gollins, who will be unable to play. Arnow is fast afoot, and is a good fielder. He is a good hitter in the clutch and has been the Yardlings' chief pinch batter.

The probable lineups: ANDOVER  HARVARD Bell, e  Canepa, 2b Gardere, cf  Smith (c), cf Wennick, 2b  Arnow, rf Quinn, 3b  Johnson, lf Palmer, rf  Chase, 3b Franklin, 1b  Greeley, ss Crehore, lf  O'Brien, 1b Nowaczek, lf  Wade, c Arnold, p  Ward or Rhinelander, p