78 Entrants Get College, Law Aid

Awards of 56 College Freshman Scholarships to New Englanders and 22 entering scholarships to the Law School were announced today by F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr. '38, Director of Scholarships in the College, and Dean Griswold of the Law School.

Freshman Scholarships are awarded annually to entering students "of high academic and personal promise." They may be renewed for the remaining three college years on the maintenance of honor grades by the holders.

Boston Latin School seniors received 11 of the 56 grants, with two each from Phillips Andover, Phillips Exeter Academy, St. John's Preparatory, Roxbury Memorial School, Medford High School, Malden High School, and Quincy High School. Graduates of 31 other secondary schools shared the remaining scholarships.

Dean Griswold announced that he has recommended Law School entering scholarships to six Harvard graduates, two from Princeton, and graduates from 14 other colleges. These grants aid men in the first of the three Law School years.

National Prize Scholarships will go to Robert L. Shults, Jr., of Pine Bluff, Arkansas, and L.S.U., and Charles N. Wolf of Houston, Texas, and Duke University.