'Cliffe '50, Alumnae Join In Events

Find Week Busy With Speeches, Festivity

Radcliffe alumnae from 1898 to the present shared in the four day schedule of events, which began Saturday, with the 188 members of the Class of 1950.

A punch party, a symposium, the baccalaureate service, an alumnae dinner, and class night were the bright spots on the program for both present and ex-graduating classes. An estimated 500 alumnae returned for the festivities.

The Triennial punch party, given for the present seniors by their "senior sister" class of 1947, started the major events moving with the re-meeting of the two classes. Other classes held luncheons and dinners at various homes and restaurants throughout Cambridge.

Symposium

Vera Micheles Dean, authoress and research director of the Foreign Policy Association, New York, led the panel of speakers at Saturday evening's symposium in Agassiz on "1950-A Backward Glance and a Forward Look." Miss Dean spoke of her experiences in the field of foreign relations, its ever increasing importance, and its growing tensions. Four other fields in which women of the Class of 1925 have worked were represented by Mrs. Frank H. Brown, department store work; Mrs. Meredith B. Givens, government; Miss Sybil A. Stone, psychology; and Mrs. Kan Lee, teaching (in China.)

Miss Dean, in her talk, urged more women to enter the field of foreign relations but warned that it requires both "some very hardy qualities" and "unfaltering confidence in eventual remedial action."

Baccalaureate

Sunday's baccalaureate service in Memorial Chapel was presided over by the Reverend John H. Leamon, pastor of the First Church in Cambridge, Congegational. Subject for his talk was "The Patience of the True Idealist." Reverend Leamon warned the graduating class of the dangers of idealistic minds turning their backs upon the institutions of democracy.

"The institutions of democracy have largely failed," he stated. The Church, the public school system, the college, the labor movement have all failed to measure up to their responsibilities and opportunities, he went on. He concluded with a call for patient and constructive labor in order to give substance to the ideals of democracy.

Alumnae Banquet

Members of the senior class and candidates for Ph.D. degrees were guests of the Alumnae Association for dinner at the Hotel Somerset Monday evening. Francis H. Russell, director of the Office of Public Affairs of the Department of State, was guest speaker at the banquet. Russell assessed the position of the United States in world affairs in his address, "Where We Stand Today."

Russell summed up American foreign policy in Europe and the Far East. He advocated adherence to the complex of United Nations organs and agencies, coal and steel and atomic energy authorities, North Atlantic and Inter-American Organizations, claiming that the structure of peace and protecting our freedoms are one and the same.

Fund Gift

Miss Mabel Daniels '00, a Radcliffe alumna and composer, whose works have been performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra and other leading orchestras, also addressed the audience present. Mrs. George B. Redding, chairman of the 1950 Alumnae Fund, presented President Jordan with the year's fund gift, a total of $35,000.

Class Night yesterday with its lantern procession and formal dance ended the pre-commencement activities.