Crimson Meets Eli Nine Today for Second Time

Godin Big Hope for Revenge Win

By Herbert S. Meyers

The varsity baseball team, a smooth functioning organization in the latter part of the season, will try to even it off against Yale today, when the two teams convene at Soldiers Field at 8:30 p.m. On Monday the Elis won a 2 to 1 contest before several approving reunion classes in New Haven.

Today's game, however, will be the one that counts for the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League. Although neither team can win because of the unfortunate rainouts of several league games, the battle is for fourth place.

The Crimson, current tenants of the position, have a four win-two loss league record, while the Yalie have won five and lost three. Either team, therefore, can end the season in fourth place, depending upon the outcome of this game.

Ira Godin, Stuffy McInnis' ace right-hander, will pitch for Harvard and he will be opposed by another righty, Johnny Little. Godin set a new all time strike-out record for the College last Saturday when he fanned 11 at Williams, and should boost his total of 307 considerably tomorrow.

Godin, who has had six major league bids, pitched at the University School in Cleveland before coming to Harvard and has been on the varsity staff for three years. Last year he set the E.I.B.L. strikeout record for one season, getting credit for 88 strikeouts in league play.

Little pitched for The Choate School in Wallingford, Connecticut before he went to Yale, and the lanky junior has been the backbone of Ethan Allen's staff this season.

At least four members of the Crimson nine will be playing their last game in Cambridge. Captain John Caulfield, third baseman Myles Huntington, catcher Cliff Crosby and Godin will end their college careers with today's contest, as will Barry Turner who pitched against Yale Monday.

In addition to the game's significance in final league standings, four Crimson batsman have a chance of boosting their averages to league-leading positions.

Gene Saylor of Navy is currently in the top spot, but he is hard pressed by Caulfield with a .414, Foynes with a .393, Crosby with a .364 and Huntington with a .360. Saylor had a .417 average, but Caulfield needs to get either one for two or two for four to take the lead.

Now in his second season at Harvard, Coach McInnis has yet to pick up a victory over Yale. Last year the Elis won 3 to 0 in New Haven and then squeaked out a 5 to 4 victory here. McInnis has brought the team along fast after a shaky start and the varsity will be favored this afternoon.

The Class of 1925 will march to the game, as they have done in past years, after a cocktail party and lunch at Eliot House. Last year the merrymaking Reunioners provided diversions before and during the contest, with a free-for-all on the diamond and impromptu speeches from the stands. The lineup: HARVARD  YALE Foynes, ef  Kreutzer, 1b Caulfield, 1b  Smith, lf White, ss  Cook, rf Crosby, c  Gormley, 2b Akillian, lf  Dowd, 3b Robinson, rf  Russ, c Huntington, 3b  Grumney, ss Cavanaugh, 2b  Little, p Godin, D  Tettelbach, cf