Red Sox Set Five Modern Offensive Baseball Records

Boston's Red Sox set five major league offensive baseball records yesterday afternoon when they slashed four St. Louis hurlers for 28 hits, to down the last place Browns, 29 to 4.

The Sox ran wild before a small crowd of 5,000, rolling up:

The most runs in one game in modern baseball. The record was formerly 27 by Cleveland in the American League and 28 by St. Louis in the National League.

The most total bases in one game, 60, breaking the former record of 55 by Cincinnati in the National League and 53 by New York in the American.

The most runs in two consecutive games, 49, replacing a record of 40 set by the Yankees and Red Sox.

The most hits in two consecutive games, 51--formerly 46 held jointly by the Athletics and Red Sox.

And lead-off man Clyde Volimer, replacing injured Dom Dimaggio in center field, faced St. Louis pitchers eight times in as many innings, for a modern mark.

The American League record for the highest number of doubles in one game (four) was tied by the Sox's Al Zarilla.

A Los Angeles bookmaker said yesterday that he would accept no more bets on the Brownies except when they play the Senators or the White Sox.