Busy School Establishes War Mobilization Center

Dean Teele Leads 15 Members of Faculty On Undisclosed Government Research Task

By Robert Sobel

The Business School has set up an analysis center to do war mobilization research for government agencies, the CRIMSON learned yesterday. A team of about 15 faculty members is currently working under contract here and in Washington on an undisclosed project--the first to be tackled by the center.

Offcially designated the Mobilization Analysis Center, the bureau is headed by Stanley F. Teele, associate dean of the Business School. George P. Baker '25, James T. Hill Professor of Transportation, and Bertrand Fox, professor of Business Administration, are co-directors. All three men will drop some of their Business School commitments to work on the project.

Corporation approval of the Analysis Center, needed before it could go into action, was granted this month.

Projects Postponed

Regular Business School activities will not suffer much s a result of the war work, according to authorities there, since the School normally operates with about one-third of its faculty engaged in research.

A few long-range research projects, however, along with some collection of business case studies, have been deferred for an indefinite period.

Teele's duties will be partially absorbed by other members of the administration, and Baker and Fox will not teach their courses during the spring term.

The work of the center ties in with the second of three areas, cited by Dean David in an address to the student body December 11, in which the Business School can assist in the present emergency.

The other areas outlined by the dean, in addition to the analysis center, were:

1) training Armed Forces personnel, and 2) supplying faculty members for administrative posts in Washington.

Teele said yesterday that there was "nothing concrete under consideration in the area of military training programs." He added that summer sessions--called "continuous operation" by the Business School-are under consideration. An informal poll of first year students early last month showed about 95 percent of them in favor of continuous operation.