College Credit

These are worrisome days for a university. Draft boards are licking their collective chops in anticipation of June's large crop of 1-A students; enlistments are setting records all over the country. At the same time the cost of education is rising and will probably rise considerably more. With Congress ready to write new and even more intensive draft legislation, a university is faced with the problem of getting enough students and then paying for them. It is faced with the problem of survival.

So it is all the more remarkable to find the College worrying about the problems of students who have decided to enlist. Yet the College thought over these problems and on Monday produced some sound and sane answers. Students who leave for service will get an examless two week breathing period; they will not have to spend those two weeks plugging away at a final. Those who leave after ten weeks of the term will still have a chance to get credit for their courses, with the amount of credit correctly left up to their instructors. There will be refunds on board and lodging payments for the unexpired part of the student's term. It is a practical plan and a liberal one. It means the College has not--lost sight of the fact that students have their problems too.