Varsity Given Nod to Crack Army in Pool

Harvard is favored over Army in tomorrow night's swimming meet; Army will once more be the underdog at 7:30 p.m. in the Blockhouse. After the last two Army meets, Hal Ulen may not believe it.

But 14 Cadet lettermen were graduated in June, and the Cadets lost to Brown, 40 to 35, last Saturday in their only meet this season.

Gone are all the fine freestylers except the two ace distance men, Captain Jack Craigie and Joe Knittle.

Gone, in fact, are the Cadets who earned 33 of Army's winning 43 points last year. Breaststroker John Smith is the only other 1950 scorer left from last year's Harvard meet. He lost second place to Rene Vielman by a stroke, and Vielman has improved greatly in the last year.

Crimson Captain Bob Berke, who barely edged Craigie last year in the 220, will swim in that event and in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Sophomore Dave Hedberg will lead the springers, having won with good times in the 50 and 100 last week against Penn.

The freshman team, ideal this weekend, last night elected as captain for the rest of the season freestyler John Bidwell Millard, of Newton and Strauss Hall. He captained the Hebron Academy team last year.