Sam Jaffe in the Brattle Theatre's 'TARTUFFE'

At the Brattle

By Thomas C. Wheeler

Moliere's "Tartuffe," when produced in 1664, evoked such clerical indignation that Louis XIV banned and banished it after its first performance. Cambridge audiences will be inclined to do neither. For "Tartuffe" is a vivacious comedy, likely to delight almost everyone and, now that the Enlightenment and the French Revolution have taken their tolls, to offend none.

Moliere's comedy is ageless, though it is set in 17th century Paris. Tartuffe is a sanctimonious cleric who attempts to seduce a bourgeois' wife and wealth. The consequent humor abounds in the amusing situation and the clever play on words. It is a humor which lampoons hypocrisy and stuffiness until both are laid low.

The Brattle, Theatre Company handles this comedy admirably, living up to the reputation which it has earned since its origin as an undergraduate organization four years ago. For the title role it has imported Sam Jaffe, winner of the International Film Festival Award for the best male performance of 1950. Mr. Jaffe's talents are evident; his Tartuffe reeks with the hypocritical piety with which the role is endowed. Yet the Brattle Company's caliber is such that Jaffe outshines no other player.

Outstanding are Thayer David as the myopic Monsieur Organ, Priscilla Morrill as the spunky maid, and Paul Ballantyne as an Enlightened bourgeois. Jan Farran is a tempting Madam Organ, and Jerry Kilty is, just as he should be, incredibly impetuous as Monsieur Organ's son. Kilty parodies--with the utmost skill--Baroque music and Baroque graces in a lyric which he has written for Louis XIV, who, by the way, is seated in the Brattle Royal Box. And then there is Fred Gwynne who during the Prologue wanders in briefly as a most foppish of fops.

The production, supervised by Allan Davis of the Old Vic Company, is impeccable. Robert O'Hearn's scenery is simple, yet strikingly like a 17th century Parisian hotel must have been; Robert Fletcher's costumes are dazzling.

"Tartuffe" is an appropriate welcome for those in the Company who have recently returned from the Broadway run of "The Relapse," and it will be an equal welcome for those returning from the less glamorous run at exams.