Ex-Law School Student Seen Involved in Latest Hoop Fix

By Michael J. Halberstam

Saul Feinberg, former second-year law student, has been heavily implicated in the bribing of three Kentucky basketball players, the New York District Attorney's office told the CRIMSON last night.

Ralph Beard and Alex Groza, both All-Americans during their college days, were arrested Friday night for regulating the score of a game in the 1949 National Invitation Tourney at Madison Square Garden. The District Attorney's office said yesterday that the players were bribed by three men-Nick "The Greek" Englisis, Nat "Lovey" Brown, and Feinberg.

According to a New York Times story which did not mention Feinberg, Englisis and his brother Anthony have admitted that they paid $1000 to Groza and $500 each to Beard and another player, Dale Barnstable, to shave the point score of the game. Feinberg has made no admissions.

When the Kentucky bribery story broke Friday night, Feinberg was already out on ball in connection with the bribing of several Bradley University players. The Bradley players, including All American Gene Melchiorre, have not yet come up for trial.

Feinberg, who was in good academic standing last June and was expected to register for his final year this September, has already been indicted for bribery under New York State law. The District Attorney's office said that a second indictment for the Kentucky affair is a possibility.