A New Tradition?

When a CRIMSON representative approached the Athletic Association with the idea for an all star House football game on the open week-end, he half expected a police smile and a quick brush off. To his surprise, the H.A.A. was very receptive and, in a short time, a football weekend was in the making.

While the game and the rally were being planned, the question of the undergraduate's much publicized apathy to football came up. None of the contest's supporters would even dare a guess about the attendance; rather, they carried on, though not optimistically.

But yesterday's game proved it was worth it all. The crowd was dwarfed, perhaps, by the size of the Stadium, yet it was spirited. The teams themselves played hard, interesting football. If the game had been played on the Saturday when originally scheduled, the audience probably would have been larger, but rain made that impossible. The H.A.A.'s enthusiasm in both scheduling and rescheduling the contest proves that reducing the H.A.A. deficit will not be done at the expense of House athletics.

If a list of those who made yesterday's game possible were to be complied, at would be a long one. Addresses would range from the H.A.A.'s Quincy Street office to University Hall to Dillon Field House. Expenses yesterday were larger than most spectators would suspect, because organizing a football afternoon from scratch requires a great deal of initial outlay. The "Open and Closed" project is now a bit of pleasant history. But judging from the enthusiastic welcome it received, the H.A.A. would do well to see that an all-star House football game becomes a permanent path of the College scene.