Ten pieces of fire apparatus, sirens screaming, roared into the Yard late yesterday afternoon. Firemen quickly extended aerial ladders to the roof of Matthews Hall, and dashed into the 79-years old structure with hose lines.
But it was a false alarm, the fire being confined to some papers burning in a fire-place. Someone had reported that a mattress was burning when the first floor of Matthews became filled with smoke.
The only serious dormitory are in recent years was that which burned out the front end of Claverly Hall this spring.