Three Students Win Rhodes Awards to Study in Britain

Goodman, Smelser, Whitehead Given All Expenses for Two Year Stay at Oxford

Two Harvard undergraduates and one graduate were among the 32 men who will receive Rhodes Scholarships this year. Frank Aydelotte, American Secretary to the Rhodes trustees revealed yesterday.

George J. W. Goodman '32 of Newton, Neil J. Smelser '52 of Phoenix, Arizona and Adams House and William V. Whitehead '50 of Brookline will each be eligible for two years free study in any subjects they choose at Oxford University beginning in October, 1932. Of the other winners, four represent Princeton, three Yale, and two MIT.

This year's selection raises to 1,350 the number of scholarships awarded to Americans since 1904, the first year in which they were given. Applications from over 400 candidates were reviewed by selection committees in the 48 states, and the names of 87 men were submitted to the eighty regional boards which made the final choices.

Each of the final candidates was interviewed personally in his home state. The 32 choices are subject to final ratification by the Rhodes trustees.

Smelser, one of the eight men elected to Phi Beta Kappa in his junior year, is a Social Relations major. Two weeks ago, he was given the Palfrey award as the outstanding member of the senior class, and in his freshman year he won the Barrett Wendell Award as the outstanding freshman. He will study political science, economics and philosophy at Oxford.

Goodman is a member of the CRIMSON Editorial Board, and is also a varsity squash player. Last summer he attended a Communist youth rally in Eastern Germany and he subsequently wrote a controversial report of his experiences for Collier's magazine.

A Marine Corps second lieutenant, Whitehead is at present serving in Gibraltar. He will presumably make use of his Oxford scholarship after his discharge.