Forum on Red Bill Is Set; Hope for Test Case Fades

The Liberal Union has decided to hold a debate on the new State anti-Red bill which certain members hoped could be turned into a test case against the bill's provisions forbidding anyone to make available auditorium space for a subversive organization. Taking part in the debate will be one of the bill's sponsors and one of its opponents.

H.L.U. President Walter C. Carrington '52 does not know yet when it will be held.

These members felt that by sponsoring a known "subversive" as one of the debaters, it could bring legal action against itself and thereby test the bill's constitutionality.

However, members who have studied the bill carefully have concluded that they cannot test the "auditorium clause's" legality in this manner. Sections 18 and 20 of the bill require that the State can invoke the provision in question only where an organization legally declared subversive is involved, and the H.L.U. is not in this category. Even if it were, it was discovered, the "auditorium clause" would be invoked against the University--if the University made an auditorium available to the legally declared subversive H.L.U.--not the H.L.U.