3 CCNY Stars Face Jail for Fixing Charge

Three top members of C.C.N.Y.'s championship basketball team, who were feted recently at Harvard by Graduate School City College alumni, were arrested yesterday in New York, accused of throwing games against Missouri, Arizona, and Boston College.

New York District Attorney Frank Hogan said that Coach Nat Holman's players--Ed Warner, Ed Roman, and Al Roth--told him they had not agreed to lose but to see that the margin of victory was less than three points. The three were said to have been paid up to $1,500 apiece for each fixed game by jewelry manufacturer Salvator Sollazo.

C.C.N.Y. and N.Y.U. won't be considered for post-season basket ball tournaments, it was also learned yesterday.

Crimson basketball coach Norm Shepard said last night, "It's time all colleges got their athletic set-ups on a sensible basis College administrations have been sticking their heads in the sand for the last 50 years, and now they're beginning to pay for it. I know Nat has been worried about the gambling influence in New York for a long time. When he was up here this year with his team he spoke to me about it, although he had no idea his own team was involved.

"The big city element hurts basketball. The situation is bad in all cities," Shepard added.

At a reception given for Holman and his team at the Graduate Center February 5, Holman said:

"We've lost five games this season, but only one was lost legitimately." Surprised laughter broke out at this points and Holman, realizing what he said, chuckled, "Oh. that can be misinterpreted several ways. My boys don't have a price." He had been referring to the fact that four of the losses had been by only a few points.