Scholarships Take Account Of Rent Hike

Proposed Raises in Board Also Considered by FAC; Student Porter Jobs Begin Next Term

Increased room rents and the proposed boost in board bills next term will be taken into consideration by the Financial Aid Center in reviewing 1951-52 scholarship applications, Director John U. Monro '34 said last night.

Monro also announced that applications for jobs as student porters will be accepted starting today at the Center, 54 Dunster Street, and the Office of Student Employment, 29 Weld Hall. Vice-President Reynolds revealed yesterday that the student porter system would be tried next term.

National and College scholarship applications for the classes of 1952 and 1953 were all due before the rent hike was announced. Consequently, students had no basis for figuring an increase in their estimated expenses for the coming year.

"The purpose of the Financial Aid Center is to aid students meet their money problems," Monro explained. Any increase in charges will be compensated for, wherever it seems necessary, although no blanket percentage hikes in scholarships can be promised, he added.

Monro said that he had no idea how many students would apply for student porter jobs, which will pay about $300 per year, and that he was awaiting with interest the initial response. He was enthusiastic about the program, commenting that it will help tremendously in providing a number of jobs which students can count on from year to year.

Monro and John W. Holt, Director of Student Placement, will screen applicants for the jobs.