Winthrop Upsets Eliot Five, 55-38

Winthrop upset Eliot yesterday 55 to 38 to tighten up the intra-House 'A' League basketball race. The game was highlighted by the fine play of Stan Greene, Winthrop forward, who scored 22 points. The loss left Eliot one game ahead of the league with two tough games remaining to be played.

In the rest of the 'A' games, Kirkland beat Dunster, 44 to 28. Lowell tipped Leverett, 31 to 30, and Dudley edged Adams, 39 to 38. In the only 'B' League game Adams defeated Dudley, 28 to 23.

In Yard basketball last night Holworthy defeated Mower, 33 to 18, and Matthews North trounced Hollis, 34 to 20. Holworthy and Matthews North are tied for the National League lead with five victories and no defeats. Massachusetts whipped Thayer South, 33 to 18, and Matthews South trimmed Hollis, 34 to 20.

In intra-House hockey yesterday morning, Winthrop's powerful team, paced by George Fogg and George Nichols, with two goals each, trounced Leverett, 9 to 1. The game was played at the Boston Skating Club. Hank McCusker scored the only goal for the Bunnies. Leverett used only seven skaters through the entire game.