Ban of Lampoon, Graduate Center Opening Mark Fall

The banning of the Lampoon, two giant riots, and the opening of the $3,000,000 Graduate Center highlighted an active fall semester at the University. Students were certain that this would be the last normal year at Harvard for some time to come, but concern over the Korean War did not stop most of the usual College activities. The following is a chronological list of the major events of the first half of the year:

September 25--Cambridge City Council orders "Reducators" list of 68 members of the faculty placed on public file; list subsequently dies in hands of City Solieitor John Daly.

September 26--Maids go on five-day week.

October 6--President Conant dedicates Graduate Center of seven dermiteries and the Harkness Commons--the largest construction at the University since the Houses were built.

October 7--Columbia defeats Crimson varsity 28 to 7 in football opener.

October 10--Inter-House Committee asks extension of House room privileges for women until midnight for the Saturdays of the Yale and Dartmouth weekends.

October 17--Graduate Center parietal rules revised to allow women in dorms until 12:30 on Friday and Saturday nights.

Faculty votes against mid-term grades.

Radcliffe Plans Graduate Center

October 18--Radcliffe plans $3,500,000 graduate center, needs funds to begin construction.

Chafee, MacLeish, Schlesinger head Civil Liberties Appeal, urge repeal of McCarran Act and election of congressmen who opposed bill.

October 23--John Reed Club gives up charter for fear of "jeopardizing" members, still actively functioning.

October 25--University announces appointment of Ralph Bunche as professor of Government.

October 28--Lampoon parody, the Pontoon, banned as Cambridge police collect all copies from local newsstands.

November 2--College announces plans for building of new General Education building to contain two medium-sized lecture rooms, one with revolving stage for science demonstrations.

November 3--Bertrand Russell addresses overflow crowd of 1,200 in Sanders Theater

November 6--Construction plans revealed for new Applied Science building on Oxford Street.

November 7--Faculty votes partical course credit to inducted men.

November 9--Professor Amory of Law School accuses Law School Democratic Club of "appealing to racism" in local election campaign, later is "apologetic" for charge.

November 11--Princeton hands football varsity its worst heating in history, 63 to 26.

Conant Proposes U.M.S.

November 12--President Conant proposes Universal Military Service, would draft all men at 18 or upon completion of high school, whichever comes first.

November 13--Vice-president Reynolds announces "grave possibility" that student porters will partially replace maids next year.

November 18--Crimson edges Brown 14 to 13 to snap its longest losing streak in history at nine games.

November 19--Three thousand students riot during power failur in Greater Boston area.

November 21--Eighty-five percent of student body approves new Student Council constitution.

T. S. Eliot lectures on "Poetry and Drama" in first Theodore Spencer Memorial Lecture.

November 24--Ten College students arrested as 3,500 participate in the largest Square riot since the war.

November 25--Yale downs Crimson 14 to 6 with all the scoring in the last period.

November 27--Faculty Committee on Advising recommends individual House deans, group tutorial in five largest concontration fields.

Football Team Elects Lowenstein

November 28--Football team elects Lowenstein '51 'captain, votes Isenberg "most valuable" player of completed season.

December 2--Two students expelled, 20 others put on probation for participation in blackout and Yale riots.

December 4--Crimson Key and Varsity Club begin drive to interest high school students in Harvard.

December 5--Hockey team defeats Tech, 14 to 2 as Coach Cooney Weiland makes debut.

Faculty votes to count plus and minus grades in final records.

December 7--Lampoon indicted for "selling and distributing obscene pamphlets," later fined $100.

December 12--R. Deborah Labenow '51, chief of CRIMSON Radcliffe Bureau, forbidden by Radcliffe Administration to continue work on paper under threat of expulsion.

December 13--Springfield added to 1951 football schedule; rest of program remains the same.

January 9--H.Y.R.C. expels three former leaders on charge of buying votes.

January 10--Business School establishes war mobilization center to do research for government agencies.

January 11--Richard M. Sandler '52 elected president of the Student Council.

January 15--President Conant says in his annual report that University must move forward despite the present crisis, proposes possible revival of three-year College programs.

January 22--University announces that it will not go on a three-term schedule.

January 31--Faculty committee completes rules for undergraduate organizations, ignores Student Council suggestions.