Quintet Rallies to Defeat B.U., 64-61

New Lineup Downs Terriers

A new combination led the Crimson basketball team to a satisfying 64 to 61 victory ever Boston University Saturday at the Blockhouse. Captain Ed Smith, Jim Cabler, Gerry Murpby, Ambie Redmond, and Forest Hansen played the entire second half, bringing the Crimson up from an eleven point half-time deficit.

Exam period staleness showed itself in Harvard's first-period play. B.U., which played three games last week, consistently pierced the Crimson zene defense. At the end of five minutes Harvard tralled, 7 to 11, and the zone was abandoned.

The switch in defenses did little good. Shepard's team had only one full practice during exam period, and it was unable to work its set plays. Passes went all over the floor, and many mistakes occurred. Smith piled up four personal fouis and was removed after only eight minutes had gone by.

With five minutes left in the first half, B.U. led by 2-0 points, 36 to 16. Redmond and Hansen entered the game, and the Crimson started to move back. Gerry Murphy and Redmond each hit with three baskets to cut down the margin as the half ended.

Shooting Improves

The Crimson's shooting in the second half was its best of the year--possibly because Bob Bramhall's movies of successful team shooting were shown for the first time just before the game. Jim Gablor helped the team in its drive for the lead by pouring in all of his five goals in the second half.

In the end, however, Smith, who made 17 of his points in the last half, put the Crimson ahead for the first time. He tied the score at 59 all by making two foul shots, and then put in a book shot. He was fouled on the shot and made the resulting free throw to provide the clincher.

The summary: HARVARD (64)   G  F  P Smith (c), f  6  11  23 Lionette  0  0  0 Gabler, f  6  1  11 Bramhall  1  0  2 Stevenson, c  0  1  1 Redmond  4  2  10 Hickey, g  1  0  2 Hansen  1  0  2 Murphy, g  6  1  13   --  --  -- Totals  24  16  64