Columbia Wrestlers Pin Pickettmen Away, 17-11

Deets Routs Adams; Smith, Lee Victors

Bob Pickett's varsity wrestlers returned from New York last night with their third setback of the season, a somewhat surprising 17 to 11 defeat at the hands of Columbia. The match was held in the Lions' University Hall.

The victory ended a losing streak which had extended through seven engagements for the Lions, who finished their season with a record of three wins and seven losses.

Probably the biggest upset among the individual bouts came at 147, where Dick Deets decisioned Bud Adams of the Crimson, 6 to 0. Up to that point, Johnny Lee and Captain Dave Smith kept their undefeated records intact, as Lee gained a 3 to 0 decision over Mike Guaizijan and Smith pinned Ed Meloni.

Manfrini Wins

Bob Hartman, Columba's unbeaten 137-pounder, stayed that way with an 11 to 1 decision over Icko Iben, and Gene Manfrini pinned the Crimson's Al Sawyer in the 157-pound class. Manfrini used a body press and the time of his fall was 5:22.

Joe Hubbard, wrestling at 167 for Harvard in place of Neil Hastic, decisioned Frank Dumont, 22 to 1, which evened the score at 11-all. But Columbia clinched the match by taking the next two bouts on decisions. George Von Hassell out-pointed Charlie Keith by executing a reversal and picking up points on time advantage while holding Keith scoreless, and Columbia's captain, Bill Malone, doomed Crimson hopes for a possible tie by decisioning heavyweight Humphrey Heidtmann.