Council Group Will Report Reactions to G. E. Courses

The Student Council will start conducting a comprehensive study of the College's General Education program this week. Robert H. Colo '52 will head a new five-man committee to gather evaluations of the G.E. courses from both faculty and students. The results will be revealed next fall.

In the spring of 1947 the Council conducted a poll of men who took the first G.E. courses, but these "were very sketchy" according to Cole.

"We hope for a thorough analysis, not merely a tabulation of results," Colo said. The committee will seek opinions from both sides, so the Council can make specific recommendations to the Faculty Committee on General Education. The results will also be used to interpret future student reactions to the courses.

This week the group will interview some members of the faculty committee to obtain what Cole described as a "good representative view." Then teaching assistants in the various G.E. courses will be polled--primarily by questionnaires.

During April the committee will take "a rather large sampling" of present and former students in G.E. courses by questionnaires and personal interviews.