Yale Continues to Dominate Eastern Swimming Tourney

By Andrew E. Norman

Yale in general and John Marshall in particular continued their impressive domination of the 11th Annual Eastern Intercollegiate swimming championships in the Indoor Athletic Building last night.

Finals in the last seven events of the meet begin at 8:15 p.m. tonight in the following order: 100-yard backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle; 440-yard freestyle; 150-yard individual medley; three-meter diving; and 300-yard medley relay.

Yale won four of the six events yesterday, and Marshall set his second intercollegiate record of the meet, as he won the 220-yard freestyle in 2:06.8; he set his first mark in the 1500-meters Thursday, the only previous event.

Greatest disappointment for the Harvard stands was the defeat of Pete Dillingham by defending diving champion Roger Hadlich. After a brilliant start, the Crimson diver faltered, and the Yale ace won the low board championship of the East for the second year in a row. John Connor of Duke, the 1949 champion, was third, and Frank Manheim of Harvard sixth.

Jim Thomas of North Carolina broke the intercollegiate record in the 200-yard backstroke with a superb 2:08.2. Dick Thoman of Yale gave him a surprisingly good chase. The Crimson's John Steinhart obviously overworked, hung on gamely and took third.

Five Harvard entrants were eliminated in the morning and afternoon trial heats. Captain Bob Berke and Lowell Sachnoff failed to make the finals in the 220-yard freestyle. Breaststrokes Ken Emerson and Rene Vielman and backstroker Hugh Hartwell also failed to qualify.

Harvard Second in Relay

Yale coasted to an easy 400-yard relay victory, while the Crimson freestylers finished second and Army third. Dartmouth had a good lead for second place, but an early jump caused disqualification.

The 50-yard freestyle went to Yale's Don Sheff in 23.2 Rutgers' Bob Nugent missed by two or three inches. Captain Ray Reid of Yale finished third, and Dave Hedberg of Harvard was a very close fourth.

The 220-yard freestyle was Yale all the way. Jack Blum set a meet record in the event last year in 2:10.4, but his three sophomore teammates all eclipsed that mark and left him behind in fourth. Army captain Jack Craigic kept pace most of the way, but finally fell behind to a deep fifth.

The Yale relay quartet of Larom Munson, Bill Farnsworth, Blum, and Sheff was two yards ahead of Dartmouth, when Coach Bob Kiphuth ordered Sheff to loaf through the last 100 yards.

Two American Records

Marshall holds the world record at 220-yards (2:05.5 last year); his time last night crased William Smith's (Ohio State) intercollegiate mark of 2:08.2 in 1949, Blum's 1950 meet record of 2:10.4, and John Patten's (Michigan) 1942 pool record of 2:10.0.

Thomas' backstroke performance bettered the intercollegiate standard set earlier this year by Jack Taylor of Ohio State and Steinhart's pool record of 2:15.5.

Brawner Wins Easily

Bob Brawner of Princeton fell far short of his world and intercollegiate records, but he won the 200-yard breaststroke easily in 2:22.4. Aaron Kurtzman of Seton Hall was a surprise second place finisher. Frank Bruch of Dartmouth bulled his way into third, ahead of Elis Bill Osborne and Stan Smith.

Dillingham, Hadlich, Manheim, and Connor step up to the three-meter board at 9:30 a.m. to open the final day of competition. Hadlich is the defending champion here, as he was on the low board.

Thomas and Thoman renew their backstroke fend at 2:30 p.m. in the 100-yard eliminations. Steinhart is a strong favorite for third, along with Navy's Boyd Johnson.

Brawner will be after more than his second victory of the meet in the 100-yard breaststroke. He won the intercollegiate record last year, and now he is aiming for the world mark. Yale Star Smith, Trinity's Ray Parrott, Union's Bob Diamond, Aaron Kurtzman of Setan Hall, and Frank Bruch of Dartmouth of have a good chance to squeeze Harvard's Emerson and Rene Vielman out of the finals.

In the 100-yard freestyle, the scwabble will be for sixth place. Nugent of Ruggers should beat one of the four Elis, Farnsworth, Munson, Reid, and Sheff, but nobody else can. Huebsch, McNamara, Pratt, and Stroud are the Harvard entries.

Those Same Yalles

Yale and Army may sweep the 440-yard freestyle. Marshall, Moore, and McLane obviously should place one-two-three for Yale. The fourth Eli, Frank Chamberlain, will battle Craigie, Joe Knittle, and Dexter Smith of Army. Harvard's Berke and Jones of Williams are the remaining two most likely to break into the finals. Crimson sophomore Dick Fouquot is the second Harvard competitor.

Coach Hal Ulen has not entered Harvard in the 150-yard individual medley, where Thomas of North Carolina and Thoman of Yale are the heavy favorites.

Big Three Relay Fight

The final event of the meet, the 300-yard medley relay, will be a Big Three battle. Steinbart, Emerson, and Hedberg set a Harvard record for the race two weeks ago against Dartmouth, but Hedberg was obviously saving himself for two more sprints later that afternoon.

Yale's trio, with Farnsworth in the backstroke, Smith in the breaststroke,8JIM THOMAS