Dudley Vanquishes Puritan Quintet; Bunnies, Elephants Also Victorious

Dudley's Bob Hoffman was high man for the day with 17 points but a strong Winthrop team drubbed the Commuters 44 to 29 in the only House 'A' league game yesterday. The Puritans' Jerry Kanter scored 14 and his teammate Stan Greene 12 to lead the winners.

'B' Basketball

Stan Wier and Gwil Brown, both of Leverett, headed the scoring as the Bunnies trounced first place Kirkland in a 'B' House game last night. The Deacons, having clinched the championship, played with a depleted squad, while Leverett substituted freely.

Accurate shooting by Bill McCurdy of Eliot helped the Elephants gain a 34 to 23 victory over Lowell. McCurdy scored 12 points, ten of which came in the first half. Bellboy Gil Eisner got eight points.

Swimming

John Cover of Winthrop did the 50 yard backstroke in 30.1 seconds, coming near the 29.6 House record as the Puritans beat Lowell, 32 to 16; Dudley defaulted meets with both teams.

In other contests, Adams defeated Eliot, 34 to 14. Kirkland won over Leverett, 28 to 20 and over Dunster, 39 to 9. Leverett defeated Dunster, 26 to 20.

Freshmen

In freshman basketball last night, Matthews North moved a step closer to the National League Championship by defeating Thayer South, 31 to 27, as Matthews South eliminated Holworthy from the race, 29 to 25. To win the championship, Matthews North needs only to win over Holworthy on Monday. In the American League, Stoughton won, 54 to 6, over Weld North to become champions of their league.