Grad School Rooms Get Ten Percent Rent Hike

Higher Upkeep Costs, Expected Cut in Enrollment by Draft, Force Rate Jumps Next Fall

University expenses took another jump yesterday, when graduate room rents went up ten percent. Vice-President Reynolds announced that the new rates will go into effect next fall.

Present graduate room rents are grouped in five categories, from $250 to $360. At the new grad center the rooms range from $250 to $300, while several outlying dormitories have three-room suites for $360 per year.

The increase in charges follows a similar jump in room rentals for the College, announced February 19. Unlike the Graduate Center, College rates were raised 15 percent and will go into effect at the beginning of Summer School.

The Graduate Center was constructed frugally and with an eye to low upkeep expense, but possible shrinkage in enrollment due to the draft and increased cost of services and supplies forced the prices up.

Announcement of the rent jump had been expected ever since the College rise, but the announcement was delayed until further checking of costs could be made. No statement has been made at this time concerning other price changes.