Business Faculty Votes Against Summer School

Dean David Says Chances for Graduate Students Getting Draft Deferments 'Improved'

Business School students will not get the summer session they requested early last December, Dean David told the first year class yesterday in Carey Cage.

The accelerated program was voted down by the faculty Wednesday because its "disadvantages . . . were so great that it could not be justified in the present situation."

David followed this announcement by saying that he felt the prospect of blanket deferment for students in graduate schools was better now than ever before.

Favorable Indications

In evidence of this, he cited a statement made last night by Maj. General Lewis B. Hershey, selective service director, that President Truman was considering an executive order to defer all college students with I.Q.'s of 120 or better.

The dean also referred to an article last week in the U.S. News and World Report and to House Report 271, which also held out hope of grad student deferment.

He added that in view of such encouraging indications, the decision aganst a summer school was undoubtedly sound.

David also stated that reserve officers called back into service might find their terms of duty limited to 21 months, with the same limit on activated national guard units. He said service for inactive and volunteer reserve units might be set at 12 months.

Students Were Polled

Early in December, an unofficial poll of first year students showed over 95 percent in favor of a summer session.

There was a summer school from 1942 to 1947; in 1944 and 1945, the School was turned over to the exclusive training of armed forces personnel.

The decision to adhere to the regular academic schedule is in line with the policy outlined by Dean David December 11, when he said the Business School would carry on as usual and that no plans were being made to convert it to a military training center.