Mysterious Thief Raids Winthrop; Bathes, Steals Clothes and Money

An unknown marauder walked into an empty fourth floor Winthrop room over the weekend, and walked out with a new spring outfit and spending money, the victims reported yesterday.

The theft was noticed by the four occupants when they returned from vacation last Sunday.

Jack Manning '52 said the rooms "smelled worse than a locker room." In one of the bedrooms they found the cause--old clothes which the thief had discarded. William Spence '52 missed a new summer suit and a shirt, and David Waring '51 lost a topcoat and $10.

Thief Loses Cuff Links

The intruder threw clothes out of drawers and closets, apparently looking for his size. During his hunt, he dropped a pair of cuff links, which belonged to none of the occupants.

Police checked the laundry marks on the clothes left behind and found they belonged to a Business School student who had had them stolen from his room last February.

The burglar stopped long enough to shave and take a bath, but took nothing else from the room.

No other Winthrop men reported any thefts. The victims admitted leaving their door unlocked over the weekend. Police are still looking for the marauder.