Faculty Lauds Truman's Dismissal of MacArthur

Student Reaction Varies; Many Wonder If General Will Claim Law Degree in June

University reaction to the firing of General Douglas MacArthur found most faculty members lined up solidly behind President Truman, while student opinion ranged from active support to apathy to violent opposition.

There was considerable speculation among students as to whether MacArthur would appear at Commencement in June to receive the Honorary Doctor of Laws degree which was conferred on him in 1946. Since the general has indicated he will return to his country soon, the possibility that he might make a major address here caused much comment.

In the Union last night, a freshman MacArthur supporter was apprehended after running off with a Liberal Union list of 130 students who had signed telegrams commending the president's action. The telegrams were to be sent to the student's individual congressmen.

H. L. U. Passes Resolution

The freshman, caught later by University Police, said he opposed Mr. Truman's dismissal of MacArthur and wanted the list to determine which students were backing the president. Union Secretary Borden F. Beck '45 indicated that disciplinary action would be recommended against the culprit, who surrendered only part of the list, when apprehended.

The H. L. U. also adopted a unanimous resolution praising Mr. Truman, copies of which were sent to the President, Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. '24, Senator Leverett Saltonstall '14, and Congressman Kennedy. A total of 300 telegrams were sent off by the H. L. U. while Radcliffe Student's for Democratic Action reported good response to a similar telegram campaign at the Ansex.

All faculty members contacted by the CRIMSON and the Associated Press last night praised Mr. Truman's move. Crane Brinton '19, McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History, called it "one of the most magnificent acts over performed by a president."

Beer Praises President

Samuel H. Beer, associate professor of Government, commented, "The dismissal of MacArthur was a very wise and courageous move on Truman's part."

In a radio forum on WCOP last night, Edwin O. Reischauer, Professor of Far Eastern Languages, supported the President, arguing that Mr. Truman had so alternative since the General had refused to follow the nation's foreign policy in the Far East.

Around the college, the reaction was a quiet one, although newspaper sales in the dining halls at dinnertime were heavy. At Kirkland House, a "Pro-MacArthur" rally scheduled for 9:30 p.m. drew little more than a dozen spectators.