Square Cabbies Call 'Cliffedwellers 'Odd in Dress, Bike Riding, Tipping

Cab drivers in the Square claim they can always spot Radcliffe girls "by the odd way the dress." Although the taxi drivers were vehement in their protests of Annex bicycle riding and tipping habits, discussions of 'Cliffedwellers' clothing styles brought forth the most moans.

"Those girls should realize this is a civilized city," stated one, "before they wander out in hideous red stockings."

Another remarked, "I always see raincoats substituting for spring and covering goodness knows what. And sneakers in the rain! Why can't those girls take care of themselves?"

The whole was situation summed up by a driver on Garden street, who advised Radcliffe to send a fashion stylist to the dormitories. "Someone should tell the girls to perk up a little in their daytime dress," he added. "What they need is to concentrate more on their appearance and less on intellectuality."

Girls at Night

But Radcliffe's evening wear received very favorable comment. "At night the girls look stunning," one driver grinned.

Bicycle riding by Radcliffe girls drew shivers from cab drivers. "I left my cab for a minute the other day," one stated, 'and a Radcliffe girl crashed into it on her bike."

"For all their intelligence, most Radcliffe girls can't tell the right side of the street from the wrong," he said. "They emerge on their bikes from the oddest places, and weave in and out crazily.'

"Usually the girls tip very scantily, and seem quite squeamish about it," complained one man. "But one time I had a surprise. A girl insisted on sitting in front, while her date remained in the back seat. At the end of the ten minute ride, she made the poor guy tip me two dollars. I couldn't understand it at all."