Debate Team Meets Boston Here Tonight

The Debate Council expects a large crowd tonight at Leverett as it employs the English "Oxford" style of audience cross-questioning and voting to determine the winner of its match against the Boston Chapter of the World Socialist Party.

The topic will be: "Resolved, That capitalism is detrimental to society." Last year's Ivy League champions, Richard W. Hulbert '51 and Richard S. Stewart '51, will take the affirmative.

Earlier this year, the debaters hit the front pages after their debate with Norfolk County Prison. The Crimson lost, and one New York paper headlined the story: "Norfolk Cons beat Harvard Pros." The debaters have not won a match against Norfolk since 1939.

Afterwards, the Norfolk debate chairman wrote the council, "they (the Harvard team speaking before 300 prisoners) captivated the audience with their warmth of expression and actually charmed them with the modesty of their personalities."

H-Y-P Debate

Aside from the National Question--Resolved, That the non-communist nations should form a new world organization--subjects have ranged from euthanasia, to the merits of living at college, to legalized gambling.

The latter will be the topic of the annual Harvard-Yale-Princeton home series May 11. The top two Harvard speakers will receive the Coolidge prize of $150 each, awarded every year for the H-Y-P series.

This year the Council is continuing its policy of letting all of its 50 odd active members debate as much as they want, rather than concentrating on an impressive won-lost record.

Without formal coaching of any kind, the Debate Council's record has climbed above the 500 percentage mark--32 wins, 30 losses to date.