Student Council Given Tutorial Report Tonight

Committee Proposes Expanded Individual, Group Programs; Differs With Faculty Policy

A report calling for greater expansion of tutorial facilities and both individual and group tutorial for all interested students will be submitted to the Student Council tonight.

The committee that made the report disagrees with one of the tenets of the Faculty Committee on Educational Policy's report, released last November. The Faculty report stated that "individual tutorial for concentrators should be either abolished or drastically curtailed so that no more than five percent of the Honors candidates might receive it in their Junior or Senior years."

Students, Tutors Disapprove

The committee stated that it found "almost universal disapproval of this recommendation" after talking "with students and tutors alike."

Individual tutorial should be retained, the committee contends, for seniors working on theses. Group tutorial, on the other hand, should be for sophomores and juniors.

All recommendations were made by the Council committee for the five largest fields: English, Economics, History, Social Relations, and Government.

The report also will take up the problem of tutorial from the student's point of view, discuss the quality of small group teaching at the College, make plans for appointing House Deans, and improvement in the lecture course system. Council member Donald L. M. Blackmer '52 was in charge of the committee.