200 Ask to Be Porters Only 60 Jobs Available

Men Will Not Endanger Maids' Jobs, University Promises; Mulvihill Sees Plan's Failure

More than 200 students have applied to make beds and clean rooms for the University next year, John U. Monro '34, Director of the Financial Aid Center, said last night.

From this number, some 60 men, including graduate students, will be chosen to be student porters. Although the method of picking the winning 60 has not been revealed, the final choice will be made early next week.

Contrary to many maids' charges that the porters will put them out of work, their positions will in no way be endangered by the students. The men will only take the places of those maids who voluntarily quit or retire.

10-15 Positions Reserved for Freshmen

From ten to 15 of the positions are being reserved for incoming freshmen. Successful candidates will meet next Friday with Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, assistant to the administrative vice-president, who will briefly explain their jobs.

Unofficial sources have claimed that the porters will undergo a training period before they begin work. The Financial Aid Center said no definite plans on this point have yet been made, but are likely. If approved, the course will be held this spring.

Porters Will Return Early

Many of the porters will return early next fall to prepare rooms for students' return.

Daniel G. Mulvihill, president of the University Employees Representative Association (the union to which the maids belong), feels that the porters will not work. He predicts that students cannot and will not do a satisfactory job, and the University will be forced to discontinue the service after a few weeks.