Ward Pitches One-Hitter As Nine Tramples Tech

Johnson Homer Paces 14-Hit Varsity Attack

By Edward J. Coughlin

Warm-weather pitcher Bob Ward had climate to his liking yesterday afternoon, and showed it as he set M.I.T. down with one hit, 9 to 0, at Soldiers Field.

Left fielder Joes Sangiolo slapped Ward's first eight inning pitch over second base for a clean single to spoil the perfect stint. The tall sophomore right-hander had less control than usual, walking four, hitting one batter, and striking out only three over the route.

Ward's curve ball consistently broke low, putting him behind most batters, but his speed was sufficient to keep most of the Tech nine bouncing the ball back to the infield. Sangiolo went to second on a wild pitch in the the eighth and Ward walked two consectively in the fifth, but no other Tech batters went past first base.

Four Score in First

The Crimson clinched the game and gave Ward an unnecessary four run cushion in the first inning, against the first of three M.I.T. pitchers. Ed Foynes led off by beating out a hit deep to short, and Ralph Robinson followed with a single to center. Johnny White sacrificed and Bennie Akillian walked to fill the bases.

Charlie Walsh went out on a fly deep to left, scoring Foynes. Then first baseman Russ Johnson collected the first and biggest of his three hits of the day. With two strikes on him, Johnson sliced the ball into left just out of Sangiolo's reach, and rounded the bases before the ball was returned to the infield.

White Triples

White added a run in the third when the throw-in of his leadoff triple was booted by the Tech shortstop. Then, in the fourth, Tom Cavanaugh singled to left, Ward sacrificed, Foynes doubled, and Robinson singled to produce two more runs.

The eighth and ninth Harvard runs came in the seventh inning. Akillian, Walsh, and Johnson singled consecutively, Johnson's blow scoring Akillian. Walsh came in when Tech shortstop Fred St. Laurent threw Kev Reilly's grounder beyond the first baseman's reach. HARVARD   ab  r  h  po  a  e Foynes, cf  4  2  2  4  0  0 Robinson, rf  5  1  2  1  0  0 White, ss  4  1  1  1  2  0 Akillian, lf  4  2  1  0  0  0 Walsh, c  4  1  1  4  0  0 Johnson, 1b  4  1  3  11  0  0 Reilly, 3b  4  1  2  2  3  0 Cavanaugh, 2b  4  1  2  2  3  0 Ward, p  3  0  0  0  3  0 Totals  36  9  14  27  13  0