Two of a Kind

In their enthusiasm to participate in the Revelation Bra strike, a few members of the Radcliffe S.D.A. and the H.L.U. rushed to the picket lines ten days ago with little idea of what was going on. Two days later, they withdrew to a neutral position because while making their hasty decision to act in a labor-management dispute, they had failed to get the facts. Although undergraduate organizations may have the right to participate in a strike, it is important that they take such action intelligently. The H.L.U. and R.S.D.A., however, based their decisions on one-sided information.

Two separate phone calls from the International Ladies Garment Workers Union prompted executive officers of each organization to vote in favor of supporting the picket line. They did not confer with management until a day later, while other members walked idly in the rain outside the factory. The more they talked to the strikers and those still on the job, the more confused the issue became. As a result, both executive boards recanted their position and set up a fact-finding committee.

Although a report from this committee may condition and justify future action by the R.S.D.A. and the H.L.U. concerning the strike, both groups have failed in their intention of lending immediate and effective support to one party in the dispute.