Eight New Junior Fellows Selected; Have Three Years for Free Study

Provost Buck today announced the appointment of eight new Junior Fellows of the University. The appointments, effective July 1, give the men three years of ffree study and research in any department of the University, free from formal requirements.

Former undergraduates who were named as Junior Fellows are Robert H. Dyson, Jr. '50 of Toronto, Ulrich E. Kruse '50 of Milwaukee, and Lowry Nelson, Jr. '47 Minneapolis. These men concentrated in Anthropology, Physics, and Comparative Literature respectively. Taylor. A. Steeves of East Weymouth, a biologist, received his B.S. at the University of Massachusetts in 1947 and his M.A. at Harvard in 1949.

Other Junior Fellows are Avram N. Chomsky of Philadelphia, a linguist, who received his A.B. in 1949 and his A.M. in 1951 from the University of Pennsylvania; Sherman L. Davis of Buffalo, a historian, who received his A.B. in 1946 and his A.M. in 1947 from the University of Buffalo; Allen Mandelbaum of New York City, a history and English scholar, who received his A.B. from Yeshiva University in 1945 and his A.M. from Columbia in 1946; and Richard P. Smith of Garland, Utah, a chemist, who received his A.B. from the University of Utah in 1948.