Conant Advocates Buildup of West In Paris Address

President Conant carried his fight for a strong Western Europe to Paris yesterday when he addressed a meeting arranged by the Center of Study of Foreign Policy.

He essentially reiterated his "Present Danger" speech of last February, except that he now thinks that there is a better chance of avoiding another world war. Last night he termed the chance "excellent" instead of "good."

The speech was reported by the Associated Press.

Again he stressed that Europe must be "made defensible and without delay." He felt that Russia had been deterred from striking because of Western superiority in strategic air power and in the atom bomb.

Lost Monopoly

As Conant pointed out in February, however, the United States has lost the monopoly of the atom bomb "on which the security of the free world in no small measure depended." He also warned that in a few years "Russia may decide that the power of our strategic air force has been largely cancelled out."

Yesterday he again said the answer to the increasing Russian ability to deliver a counter air blow is to build up Western land power to balance the present Russian superiority.

By doing this, he told the Paris meeting, the United States could provide "a true global stalemate."