Indonesia Urges Conciliation, Says Republic's Envoy

Indonesia will work for world peace as an umpire, not as a fighter, Dr. Ali Sastreamidjojo, the republic's ambassador to the United States, told a small audience in the Littauer Lounge last night.

The republic "has adopted an independent policy in its international relations, not in order to evade responsibility but as a positive attitude of conciliation..." the ambassador continued.

He said that the same policy of conciliation applies to the Korean situation and that Indonesia would not become actively involved in the war. "We are just starting to rebuild and cannot afford the possibility of a third World War. We are convinced that another war will end our independence."

Asked about the problem of Red China, he said, "We are convinced that the Asiatic problems cannot be solved without the role of China being defined. It cannot be denied a position or a voice in the world."

The ambassador also discussed the problems his country has faced since August 17, 1945 when it declared its independence. He outlined the conflict between those "who favor a return to the pre-colonial Indonesian culture" and those "who wish to adopt completely Western ideas and methods."

Dr. Sastroamidjojo recommended a middle course--that Indonesia "retain all the values inherent in our old culture" and also adopt "modern, efficient Western methods."

He said the republic is "grateful for foreign assistance" but also "proud of its hard-won independence and extremely sensitive to any possible interference."