Numerous Musical, Novelty Events Enliven Springtime in Cambridge

Even if you don't like to indulge in or observe sporting events, or you find picnics unproductive and insect ridden, there is no reason to despair in the springtime. For spring is the variety season in Boston; there's more than a football game or a basketball fix to keep your interest up weekends. And you might get a particular high polish on your veneer of culture without any particular effort.

First of all, there are the traditional pops concerts, with Arthur Fielder and is small symphony playing a wide variety of selections from music to Muzak. As you might judge from his theatre program appearances, Fiedler sanctions the quaint custom of purveying beer among the higher priced seats. Harvard night at the Pops, May 10, is, of course, without peer as an adventure into the realm of familiar music. Unfortunately, Pops also holds B.U. and Northeastern nights, and attendance at these affairs is somewhat less comforting, unless you prefer their songs.

Also in realm of pleasant music are the spring evening Glee Club concerts on the Widener steps and the outdoor Band concerts emanating from the Hatch shell on the Charles River esplanade. Then again there's no telling when Schneider's Silver Cornet band may cut loose again down by the Winthrop gate.

In case you are tone deaf but determined to stay outdoors, the Dramatic Club is presenting A Midsummer Night's Dream nightly in the Fogg Arbor Court, weather permitting. HDC is attempting to turn its outdoor spring production into a local tradition.

For the less pastoral soul, spring means the grand parade from South Station to the Boston Garden, with the elephants and the caliope leading the way, as the Greatest Show on Earth takes up its annual residence from May 8 to 13. Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey may have lost Gargantua to Yale, but the India rubber man, the tattooed lady, and the fire-eater go on forever. In addition, hundreds of performers defy death daily and the seals plays "God Save the King."

If you can't get enough frozen custard and the carnival spirit, Revere Beach will be gaudily open from the first of May on.