Spring . . . A Challenge to the Scholar

Beaches, Picnics, Baseball All Invite Students Away from Exam Study

Spring reading period can be the best or worst time of the year. For the student who has spent the term diligently probing the depths of New England, seeking pleasure wherever it might be found, it is a time of work, a time when Lamont is discovered, a time when the typewriter ribbon is constantly changed. But for the student who has attended some classes occasionally pursued an assignment, and has a speaking knowledge of some of his subjects, it is a time for exploration, a time when Cambridge, and New England beckon with their greatest charms.

There is a lot to be said for Cambridge. With Brattle Theatre open, and the Harvard Dramatic Club operating at its highest level ever, much can be expected in the way of theatrical entertainment. Harvard sports are generally more successful in the won and lost column in the Spring and baseball or crew on a hot afternoon with a cold can of beer and a warm date enables the sometime student to neglect his studies comfortably.

This weekend's regatta is the only big home race of the year, but the baseball team, track squad, and the golf, tennis, rugby and lacrosse forces operate at home right up to the week before exams. Even after exams the varsity nine has four games scheduled, presumably trying to keep the vacationing student and the visiting alumnus occupied.

But to man who must get out of Cambridge in order to escape his responsibilities or simply to relax from overwork, facilites for almost anything can be found within a few hour's drive.

If you want to picnic there are the woods and the beaches, now empty and secluded, waiting for the summer crowds. Cape Cod it only one of the many places where the out-of-season visitor has the advantage of seeing the quaint, historic areas in their simple, real states.

Or if you prefer watching professionals exert themselves, the Braves and the Red Sox cavort at least once daily, the horses run every day except Sunday, and the midget auto cars are only a short way out of town.

All Sorts of Parties

Spring, to some people, means cocktail parties and dances, the resumption of the fall orgy. Some of the houses still have formal dances on the social calendar, and the Senior's week provides another outlet for male-female brawling.

The real opportunity for enjoyment comes after exams, however, when the alumni return in force and provide a week of free revelry for the lingering undergraduate. Lobster luncheons, beach parties, dances, pops concerts, all are supplied by the reunioning classes. And in between it all there are the Yale baseball games and the regatta on the Thames.

A Guide to the Wonders Of Spring Offered Herein

In this issue the CRIMSON has attempted to present a guide to the many opportunities Cambridge and its environs offer in the Springtime. Because of space limitation, it can not be complete; what is attempted, however, is a brief summary which may enable the pleasure-seeking student to note his goal, and then pursue it.

The models who graciously offered their services may be seen any day in the Harvard Square area, plying their usual trade as students.