Tar Heels Defeat Tennis Team, 6-3

Robb, Tobias, Second Pair Beat Carolina

A hard-hitting Tar Heel tennis team yesterday took its revenge for an carlier loss to the Crimson by trouncing them, 6 to 3. North Carolina swept the first four singles and two doubles matches in straight sets. Right after the match, the varsity left for New York to meet Columbia today. Tomorrow it will play at Princeton.

Charlie Ufford, in the first position, played one of his best games of the year but was not good enough to beat another sophomore, Dell Sylvia, from North Carolina. Ufford dropped five straight games in the first set to lose it after leading, 4-1, and though he won the second set, he could not win the match.

Bob Luxemburg and Captain Heath Alexander at two and three for the Tar Heels both won their matches in two sets. The Crimson fourth man, Dave Watts, played steadily to take his first set easily, 6-2, only to lose the next two, the last by 6-0, to Bill Izlar.

Fifth, Sixth Singles Win

The two Crimson victories in singles, both in straight sets, fell to Bayard Robb and Paul Tobias. Robb's net game and lefty forehand drive were hitting consistently to top the number five man, John Booker. In the sixth spot, Tobias trimmed his opponent, Charlie DuVal, by playing his usual conservative, steady game.

In the longest match of the day, Ufford and French won in second doubles over Luxemburg and Izlar. The Harvard duo lost several chances before it finally won the third set, 9-7.

Coach John Kenfield of the Tar Heels thought that his team yesterday played its best match of four so far on its northern trip. The squad will go to play Yale today, sporting a 19-4 record, including its 8 to 7 loss last month to the Crimson at chapel Hill, North Carolina.

Last year North Carolina was Southern Conference champion with a 21-2 record. Only Luxemburg and Alexander have returned to this year's team which Kenfield calls his weakest since the war.

The varsity's match against Princeton tomorrow will pit it against the fourth rated squad among the nation's colleges. The Tigers include Gil Bogley, former junior champion, and Charlie Devoe, who holds a national ranking.

The summary:

Sylvia (N.C.) defeated Ufford, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5; Luxemburg (N.C.) defeated Bramhall, 6-2, 7-5; Alexander (N.C.) defeated French, 6-1, 6-4; Izlar (N.C.) defeated Watts, 2-6, 6-4, 6-0; Robb (H) defeated Booker, 6-4, 6-2; Tobias (H) defeated DuVal, 7-5, 6-4.

In doubles: Alexander and Sylvia (N.C.) defeated Bramhall and Goodman, 6-4, 7-5; Ufford and French (H) defeated Luxemburg and Izlar, 4-6, 6-3 9-7; Booker and Buchanan (N.C.) defeated Watts and Robb, 6-3, 6-2.