Abominable Condition

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Harvard is more than a fine intellectual institution: it is also a place whose facilities are efficient and whose limited campus is beautiful and enjoyable. One thing, however, has been neglected in the University's attempt to keep our facilities in fine order. In the foyer between Memorial Hall and Sanders Theatre there are various plaques bearing the names of Harvard men who died in the Civil war fighting for the preservation of a Democracy. The plaques and the woodwork around them are well dusted, but the small American flags above each of the plaques are in a worn, filthy abominable condition.

Since the building was built as a tribute to patriotic Harvard men, I think that the presence of flags in this condition is quite a disgrace. It is not only displeasing to members of the University, but also it is poorly thought of by visitors who stand in the foyer during the intermissions of the numerous plays and concerts. Patriotism and respect demand that we replace these flags immediately. Byron R. Wlen '54