Charles Wilson Will Get Honorary Degree Here

Director of Mobilization, Along With Austin, Slated for Commencement Award June 21

By Douglas M. Fouquet

Mobilization Director Charles E. Wilson will be among the University's honorary degree recipients at Commencement next week, the CRIMSON learned last night from very reliable sources.

Wilson, director of the Office of Defense Mobilization, will join Warren R. Austin, chief U. S. delegate to the United Nations, at the June 21 ceremonies. Both men are expected to be awarded the University's highest honorary degree, Doctor of Laws. They will speak later at the afternoon Alumni Exercises in Tercentenary Theatre.

Although it was known on May 30 that Austin would be here, the news about Wilson's honorary degree was confirmed only last night when Washington sources revealed that the mobilization czar would be in Cambridge for that purpose.

Was G. E. President

In private life the 65-year-old Wilson was president of the General Electric Company, with which he has been affiliated since 1899 when he started work in the shipping department. Since then he served successively with G. E's accounting, production, engineering, manufacturing, and marketing departments before becoming president in 1940.

He has also been connected with the Guaranty Trust Company of New York as executive vice-chairman, and during World War Two he was a member of the War Production Board.

As today's mobilization chief, Wilson often works closely with President Conant, who is one of 11 member of an advisory board on scientific research and planning.

Austin at Georgetown

Austin received an early honorary degree yesterday at Georgetown University in Washington, D. C. In his address there, he advised the country not to be afraid of negotiation for a peaceful settlement in Korea.

According to the Associated Press, Austin said that a Korean settlement will be possible "when the aggressor sees that he cannot achieve his objective." He stated that the Communists must agree "to end their aggression against the Republic of Korea, to cease hostilities, and to maintain guarantees against their resumption."