Laundry Claims School Tightens Concessions; Holt Denies Charge

Rubber Stamp?

University officials are investigating laundries which served students this year and want to come back next year, a spokesman for the Penguin Cleaners claimed yesterday.

He added that they were tightening requirements for outfits that want to continue concessions here. He also claimed that, as a result, the student-run Capitol Laundry may not be back next year.

Holt Denies Charges

John W. Holt, director of student employment, denied the charges. He said that "we are not imposing any violent changes over our past policy." This policy requires that a laundry wanting concession rights, given on a year to year basis must submit a balance sheet of its finances for the past year.

Holt said that this action was merely to safeguard students.

"We also want to give student solicitors a chance to make money," Holt continued. To do this, the University restricts the number of solicitors each company may have.

Capital Lacks Balance Sheet

As to Capitol, Holt said that the only trouble there was its failure to hand in the necessary balance sheet. This laundry differs from the others as it is student run, and its management changes hands from year to year.

This year's head, Allen A. Winslow, could not be reached last night for comment.

The Penguin spokesman maintained, however, that officials here are "cracking, down this year. Before they were just a rubber stamp. Now they're checking our bank credit and looking into all complaints."