Nationals Beckon Three Hopefuls

Somewhat unnoticed by those summer school rowers to whom wherries mean a chance for open-water sunbathing, three Harvard contenders for the National Championships to be held on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester this Sunday have been limbering up out of Weld Boat House.

John H. Hart '52 is training for the single sculls event under the experienced coaching eye of Blake Dennison, who has been coaching rowers since 1923.

Dennison is cagey about Hart's chances this weekend. He calls Hart "a strong rower," but says that it takes four years of training to make a "top-notch oarsman," and Hart has only been at the game seriously since this spring.

The University will not go unrepresented in the double scull event, with law student Pete Heller '48 rowing stroke and Gordon Abbott '50 pulling the bow. oar.

In their event they call the competition "very rough." Entering officially for the Union Boat Club down-river from Weld Boathouse, they say the "outfit to beat" will come from the Vesper Boat Club of Philadelphia. This shell will be manned by Owen J. Tolland and William Knecht, one an Olympic and one a previous national champion.