Foreign Students Hold Talk On Swedish, Grecian Topics

Two Summer School students from Sweden and Greece were the featured speakers at the third weekly Wednesday forum on Contemporary European Affairs held under the auspices of the Foreign Students Seminar.

But Greko, a graduate of the Swedish University of Commerce, spoke on "Free Enterprise and Socialism in Sweden." He outlined the functions of the various parts of the Swedish economy, and emphasized that contrary to popular belief, Sweden is not a socialist country.

"Socialism," he stated, "means the same thing in many parts of Europe as democracy means in America." In reference to Sweden's consumer co-operatives, which are not under state control, Greko said, "Sweden's compromise system...is not a step towards socialism, but away from socialism."

Andrew Michaelides, an instructor in Ancient History at Athens College, discussed "The Problems of Contemporary Greece." Basing his talk primarily on the educational and political needs of his native land, he deplored the fact that the educational system is geared to classical academic values, despite the overwhelmingly agricultural nature of Greece's population.

Educational Changes

He proposed certain basic changes in educational curricula which would stress vocational training, in order to erect "a system based on the agrarian nature of the country and the needs of its people."

Michaelides reviewed Greece's recent political history and international relations, his country's traditional love of liberty. For these reasons, he concluded, "Our policy is bound to follow closely those of Great Britain and the United States."