Missing Players Plague Ball Clubs

An amazing amount of apathy was evident in the softball picture as the Summer School League swung into the second week of play. All games played showed at least one side operating shorthanded. The most logical explanation was the obvious superiority of the rampaging Hollis-Stoughton team which had hitherto crushed all opposition. Manager Art Amsie of the Stoughtons, in a determined effort to recreate interest in the pennant race, split up his team temporarily and gave many of his regulars a rest in the games that Stoughton played this week, both of them against Holworthy.

Stoughton squeaked by on Monday 7-6, scoring three runs in the last inning on Chandler's hit with the bases loaded, but on Wednesday the unexpected absence of five starters led to Stoughton's first defeat, which, however, has been protested by Manager Amsie on the basis of a rule interpretation. The League Commissioner has announced that he will take the protest under consideration.

Also on Monday, Thayer showed up with only six men and forfeited its game to Mallinckrodt, although the teams did play with Thayer winning, 12-3.

On Tuesday, the Linden Street Lions sowed their power as they walloped the Grad School, 14-9, and on Wednesday, in the aforementioned game, Holworthy beat Stoughton, 12-8, as Auerbach led the attack with four hits. The first home run of the season off Barry Newman of Holworthy was hit by Art Amsie.