Strakhovsky Lectures on Soviet Foreign Policy in Lamont Today

Leonard I. Strakhovsky, professor of Russian History and Literature at Toronto, will speak on "The Riddle of Soviet Foreign Policy" at 3 p.m. today in the Lamont Forum Room.

Strakhovsky plans to differentiate between the aspect of Russian foreign policy dictated by the strategy of the Communist Party and that dictated by its tactics. The tactics change, he says, but the strategy is constant.

He will discuss the writings of Lenin and Stalin as the blueprint for Soviet policy, much as Hitler's "Mein Kampf" turned out to be the blueprint for Nazi aggression. He declares that Americans tend to reject the possibility of fantastic schemes merely because they seem fantastic.

The two remaining lectures in this Thursday afternoon series will be given by Alfred V. Frankenstein and Ernest Hans Gombrich. The visiting member of the Music Department will treat "Pictures at an Exhibition" in Paine Hall next week, and the visiting lecturer in Art will speak on "Pictures and Words" in the Forum Room August 16.